Main Menu

The worst advice you’ve ever heard about Twitter

by Ana, posted 4 years ago
Join 500,000+ users and check your own Twitter Stats for Free! Sign up now!

You’ve probably received a ton of advice from friends, coworkers or online sources on best practices for making the most out of Twitter. Some is good, some is bad and some other is really bad.

Well, we chose to share with you the absolutely worst advice we’ve ever heard about Twitter and you might have heard too. In other words, here’s what to ignore:

Tweet every now and then. You don’t want to spam your followers.

This is the type of advice you get from someone who doesn’t fully comprehend the way Twitter works. Given that the average life of a tweet is 18 minutes, tweeting say two, three times a week is not enough. Afterall, (spoiler alert) your followers follow other people too, meaning that your account does not necessarily dominate their Twitter feed.

What’s more, not all your followers are online at the same time. So instead of making assumptions, there are ways to know how often and when is best for you to tweet. Start by finding out when your followers are online and by experimenting with tweeting frequencies.

Send a DM to all your new followers.

This piece of advice is older than the pyramids. It might have been a good idea when Twitter started and everyone was figuring out how the medium works, but sending a DM to every single new follower you get is spammy and impersonal.

Follow everyone you can to boost your follower growth

Even though autofollowing might seem to be working as people are usually inclined to follow back, with Twitter’s ceiling of 2000 follows it’s really not worth the extra work. You’ll find youself constantly needing to follow and unfollow everyone until you’re able to add more people.

Afterall, it should be more about following someone for what they tweet, right? This way, you might earn a follow back that actually matters to you.

You should only tweet about you

Yes, Twitter can be a great tool to share your content but this is not its only purpose. The idea is to interact and engage as much as possible. Have you heard of the 80/20 rule? This basically means that 80% of your Twitter activity should be engaging with your community by sharing content of others you find interesting for example. The remaining 20% of your Twitter activity should be about promoting your own content.

Asking people for retweets and follows is needy

Guilty as charged: I’ve been one of these people giving this bad piece of advice! And alas, social media science has proved me wrong. Asking for a retweet or a follow actually works! In fact, a tweet that contains the phrase “please retweet” gets 4 times more retweets than other tweets.

You can’t measure success

Yes you can! As long as you set up the right analytics after you define your goals. A good starting point is tracking your follower growth and engagement stats such as retweets and mentions.

What’s the worst advice you’ve ever heard about Twitter? Let us know in the comments below or tweet it out!